Monday, March 17, 2014

The Exxon Valdez oil spill hurt never goes away.

I have been busy the last two weeks, and I have not been keeping up with the Governor, or the legislature. I knew the Governor had appointed non-Alaskans to a board or two. I pretty much knew the legislature would not confirm non-Alaskan appointees because Alaskans would be outraged, and it is an election year. I had to learn from Amanda Coyne’s ADN piece that that one of the Governor’s appointees to the Alaska Gasline Development Corporation (AGDC) board was a former ExxonMobil executive. Are you friggen kidding me? I am sorry. The Exxon Valdez oil spill hurt never goes away for this Alaskan.

In 1989, the law firm I worked for was not only foreclosing on homes we were also the first firms representing Alaska’s fishermen harmed by the Exxon Valdez oil spill. There is nothing more humbling than witnessing grown men crying, and devastated for their futures and their communities. I remember it like it was yesterday, and it was heartbreaking. Exxon has yet to resolve some of its oil spill litigation with Alaskans, and because they are spending money we Alaskans are expected to trust them? As Dr. Phil would say, “the biggest predictor of future behavior is past behavior. “

The foreclosing on homes business slowed down, and I went to work for a litigation firm representing the federal government in the Exxon Valdez litigation. I know more than any Alaskan should ever know. I am always willing to forgive and forget and move on. However, your company harms Alaskans you should never have a seat on the AGDC board, ever.

__________

Amanda Coyne: Parnell's light seems to be flickering
http://www.adn.com/2014/03/15/3376855/amanda-coyneparnells-light-seems.html