Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bye Bye ACES

Deborah Brollini

SB 21 passing the legislature in 2013 was monumental not only from a state perspective but also from a personal perspective.

My children got their mother back after years of attending fundraisers, and having to care about “ACES,” Alaska Clear and Equitable Share oil tax policy.

On April 14, 2013, my children and I watched the final SB 21 vote go down in the Senate. I knew SB 21 was going to pass. But, it was important for me that my children witness this decision because they have been the heart of my advocacy for oil tax reform since 2009.

Growing up in Alaska is something special, and you can certainly spot those who grew up with Alaska oil and those who have not. Those of us like myself who grew up with oil do not hold Alaska's oil industry in contempt. My children deserve the same future their mother experienced, and so it should be no surprise that I would jump in and fight for their futures. Alaska was worth saving, and I continue to be unapologetic to those who got in my way.

SB 21 is not perfect law. But, I will take it with all of its imperfections. It was a lot of hard work seeing this legislation through. SB 21 is law today, and I can now rest, get on with my life and enjoy my children.

My children’s Alaska future is so bright with SB 21 that they have to wear shades.