Monday, May 20, 2013

A mother’s love and SB 21


Deborah Brollini
Alaska Energy Dudes and Divas

There are not many kids out there who have a mother who will take on governors, legislators or an Alaska Supreme Court justice.

My children have that mom, and they certainly did not sign up for an out spoken mother who will move mountains for them. But, it is what is, and I’m unapologetic in fighting for my children’s future, and my beloved state of Alaska.

This is my home, where I grew up, and all of Alaska’s youth deserve the same opportunities my friends and I experienced growing up regardless of circumstance. It is our responsibility to leave Alaska better than we found it, and to give our young people hope.

I attended South Anchorage High School’s graduation last week because my daughter was a junior honor marshall. The last time I attended a graduation at the Sullivan Arena I was graduating from college.

The excitement and anticipation in the arena was incredible as I watched parents, siblings, grandparents and graduate’s friends enter the arena.

I was overwhelmed with emotion when the pomp and circumstance march played and the river of tears poured over my face.  I stopped crying when I realized that these graduates were just entering high school when I began my fight for their futures. I went from being emotional to being a proud mom to every graduate who walked over the stage and I rejoiced in their futures because I was in the trenches fighting for it.

My daughter bought me tickets to the Phillip Phillips concert for mothers day. Little does she know it was his song “home”  that kept me fighting for her and her brother’s futures this past legislative session.